Kevin Durant withdrew Thursday from the U.S. national team, the biggest loss yet for a weakening American squad.
The NBA's MVP informed took part in the Americans' training camp in Las Vegas last week, but then informed team officials that he wasn't going to continue.
"Kevin reached out to Coach K and myself this afternoon and expressed that he is just physically and mentally drained from the NBA season and his attention to his many responsibilities,' USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo said in a statement. "He tried to give it a go at our recent Las Vegas training camp but felt coming out of camp that he was not prepared to fulfill the commitment he made to the team."
Durant was the MVP of the world championship in 2010, leading the Americans to that title for the first time since 1994. The Oklahoma City star also started on their gold medal-winning team in the 2012 Olympics.
Greg Oden arrested on battery charges
INDIANAPOLIS -- Police arrested former NBA No. 1 draft pick Greg Oden on battery charges early Thursday, alleging that he punched his ex-girlfriend in the face during a fight at his mother's suburban Indianapolis home.
The free agent center, who played for the Miami Heat last season, was taken into custody at the home in Lawrence on two preliminary counts of misdemeanor battery. Oden, 26, remained in Marion County Jail as of mid-afternoon Thursday.
He was expected to appear for an initial hearing sometime Thursday at the jail's arrestee processing center, at which time a judge may set Oden's bond amount, said Peg McLeish, a spokeswoman for the county prosecutor's office.
Prosecutors plan to request for a 72-hour continuance to give them more time to decide what, if any, formal charges Oden will face, she said.
According to a Lawrence police report, officers were called to the home at around 3:30 a.m. and found a 24-year-old woman on a sofa with a swollen, bloody face. A friend of the woman told officers that Oden had "punched her in the face," (see full story).
Mavericks: Felton suspended for four games
DALLAS -- The NBA has suspended new Dallas Mavericks guard Raymond Felton for the first four games of the upcoming season after his guilty plea in a New York gun case.
Felton's suspension without pay was announced Thursday, two weeks after he took a plea deal that involved admitting a felony but avoiding jail time.
Felton said in a statement released Thursday by the Mavericks that he demonstrated poor judgment and takes full responsibility for his actions. He says he's eager to start fresh in Dallas.
Felton pleaded guilty July 23 in New York to attempted criminal possession of a weapon and criminal possession of a firearm. He admitted he knowingly had a large-capacity ammunition magazine and a semi-automatic pistol without a license.