NBA Notes: Garnett out at least one week

NBA Notes: Garnett out at least one week
March 26, 2013, 9:00 am
Share This Post

Kevin Garnett is averaging 14.9 points per game this season in 65 games. (USA Today Images)

WALTHAM, Mass. -- Boston's Kevin Garnett is expected to miss at least a week with inflammation in his left ankle as the Celtics practice patience with their 36-year-old star.

Coach Doc Rivers, preparing his team for a playoff run, said on Monday he doesn't think Garnett will be out for the long term.

"I don't know what long term is," Rivers said before practice. "If you mean that he's not going to play this year, no, I don't worry about that. But can he miss four or five games? Yeah, that's possible."

Garnett sat out Saturday night's 110-106 loss at Memphis and will miss Tuesday night's home game against the New York Knicks, Rivers said. The Celtics' busy stretch continues Wednesday night at Cleveland, Friday night at home against the Atlanta Hawks, Sunday night at New York and Monday at Minnesota.

Boston general manager Danny Ainge wasn't sure how much time Garnett would miss.

"I think that it's not longer than three weeks or it could be a week," he said. "I'll guess two weeks just because we want to make sure he's really ready. We need to get him fresh anyway," (see full story).

Royce White back with D-League team
HOUSTON -- Royce White is back with the Houston Rockets' developmental league affiliate, five days after he left the team.

White announced on Twitter that he had returned to the Rio Grande Valley Vipers and that a "miscommunication" with the Rockets had been cleared up. He said last week that he had left the team and returned to Houston on the advice of a team doctor.

The Rockets had no comment on White's departure last week or his return.

White has played in 12 games for the Vipers, averaging 9.6 points and 5.6 rebounds. He was a first-round pick (16th overall) last summer and has yet to play for the Rockets.

Qualcomm CEO joins Sacramento bid to keep Kings
SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Add another investor to the group Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson is assembling to keep the Kings from moving to Seattle.

Johnson announced Monday night that Paul Jacobs, CEO of the international technology company Qualcomm, has agreed to become part of the Sacramento bid. Jacobs joins a group that includes billionaire investor Ron Burkle, 24 Hour Fitness founder Mark Mastrov and TIBCO Software CEO Vivek Ranadive.

Sacramento city officials reached a preliminary agreement Saturday with the investment group for a new $447 million downtown arena. The City Council is planning to vote on the non-binding term sheet Tuesday night.

Sacramento is hoping to block a bid by a group that has a pending purchase agreement to buy the Kings from the Maloof family and move the team to Seattle. The NBA Board of Governors is expected to make a decision by the end of its April 18-19 meetings.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Looking for Sixers tickets? Buy them through the Wanamaker Entertainment Group.

Latest News