Philadelphia Eagles head coach Chip Kelly looks on from the sideline during the second half of an NFL football game against the Dallas Cowboys Sunday, Dec. 29, 2013, in Arlington, Texas. (AP Photo/Tony Gutierrez)
It's the job of a writer or analyst -- whether in print, on TV or this newfangled interweb thingy -- to make bold statements. We've done it here at The Level, and we've been wrong sometimes, too.
But with the Eagles going worst to first after Sunday night's win over the Dallas Cowboys, we thought we'd have a little fun with those who HATED the hiring of Chip Kelly less than one year ago.
- ESPN NFL analyst -- and former Eagles writer for the Inquirer -- Ashley Fox, 363 days ago, with bonus points for collaboration from former Eagle Hugh Douglas:
Agree. ---> “@Bighugh53: Just my 2 cents. I don't think Chip Kelly could coach an NFL team..”
— Ashley Fox (@AshleyFoxESPN) January 1, 2013
- NFL "Media Analyst" and former NFL fullback Heath Evans, from Jan. 16, 2013, complete with full column explaining just how bad a hire Kelly is:
Heath Evans: "I am going on the record calling Chip Kelly one of the worst hires in pro football history." http://t.co/JAxmK4V0
— NFL (@nfl) January 16, 2013
- ESPN analyst Michael Smith, combined with some rapper named Wale who I guess I should know since he has 3.4 million Twitter followers (?!?!)
True that RT @Wale: michaelsmith chip Kelly gon be Steve spurrier part 2 if he think anybody other then MV can run that rush offense
— Michael Smith (@michaelsmith) June 7, 2013
- NFL.com's Gregg Rosenthal -- extra special tonight, as the dumpster fire that is the Cleveland Browns fired Chudzinski during the Eagles game:
A nice turn of events for Weeden to go from Chip Kelly to possibly Chud/Norv. Better fit
— gregg rosenthal (@greggrosenthal) January 11, 2013
- Bleacher Report NFL writer Andrea Hangst, also on the Eagles/Browns comparison:
When it comes to Chip Kelly and the Browns, I don't really care. Chudzinski is a better fit, period.
— Andrea Hangst (@FBALL_Andrea) January 16, 2013
- And of course, last but CERTAINLY not least, the one and only, Howard Eskin:
— Howard Eskin (@howardeskin) January 5, 2013