Matt Walker, acquired from Tampa in the Simon Gagne trade, has been waived by the Flyers. Bob McKenzie from TSN first reported the news via Twitter.
Walker's Flyers career lasted all of 45+ minutes over four games. He did not record a single point, and was a -1. In his defense it was always going to be tough to crack the starting lineup in light of the three defensive pairings the Flyers throw out there each night.
He also battled injuries, missing significant time after undergoing surgery for a damaged hip. If nothing else I suppose the move is a vote of confidence for Oskars Bartulis, who is a less expensive option in the event the Flyers go down a defenseman.
While the Gagne deal was universally panned, the reality was that it was a salary dump. Getting out from under Gagne's contract gave the Flyers the cap flexibility to bring in Andrej Meszaros, who was also acquired from Tampa. Matt Walker did little to help the Flyers on the ice, but looking back the trade certainly benefitted the Flyers. Will another move be made with the cap money recovered by waiving Walker? The Flyers don't really have any areas of need, but that hasn't stopped the trade talk around a team that is regularly active at the deadline. Both Tim Panaccio and Sam Carchidi have dropped the name of Erik Cole in the past two days.
Position Title: Intern
Company: Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia
# of hours / week: 10 – 20 hours
Deadline: November 20
This position will work closely with the Vice President of Sales in generating revenue through commercial advertisements and sponsorship sales. The intern will gain first-hand sales experience through working with Sales Assistants and AEs on pitches, sales-calls and recapping material.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Assist Account Executive on preparation of Sales Presentations
• Cultivate new account leads for local sales
• Track sponsorships in specified programs
• Assist as point of contact with sponsors on game night set up and pre-game hospitality elements.
• Assist with collection of all proof of performance materials.
• Perform Competitive Network Analysis
• Update Customer database
• Other various projects as assigned
1. Good oral and written communication skills.
2. Knowledge of sports.
3. Ability to work non-traditional hours, weekends & holidays
4. Ability to work in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment
5. Must be 19 years of age or older
6. Must be a student in pursuit of an Associate, Bachelor, Master or Juris Doctor degree
7. Must have unrestricted authorization to work in the US
8. Must have sophomore standing or above
9. Must have a 3.0 GPA
Interested students should apply here and specify they're interested in the ad/sales internship.
About NBC internships
The Phillie Phanatic is nothing if not persistent.
When he has his big bug eyes set on something, he goes to great length to make it happen.
So it was with great joy we got to see his wooing of Los Angeles Dodgers' reporter Alanna Rizzo paid off on Thursday -- at least in the short term.
Prior to today's matinee with the Dodgers, the Phillies broadcast showed the Phanatic setting up a lovely, romantic setting on the field at Citizens Bank Park for a date with Alanna.
"He knows exactly how to get to a ladies' heart," Phillies play-by-play man Tom McCarthy said.
But then the Phanatic had to go screw it up like the goof that he is and spilled his beverage all over his date.
We're hoping that Phyllis does not see this clip, for everyone's sake. But part of us thinks it may have all been a ploy to punk the opposing team's media member. Maybe the Phanatic is smarter than we all think and had that up his sleeve all along.
"Do they have to put him in a cage when they take a flight," John Kruk wondered aloud.