Zolnierczyk on 4-game ban: 'I don't like it'

Zolnierczyk on 4-game ban: 'I don't like it'

March 4, 2013, 1:30 pm
Share This Post

Harry Zolnierczyk doesn't want to talk anymore about his four-game "Shanaban," handed down Sunday for a charging call the day before that left Ottawa’s Mike Lundin concussed.
 
“I’m not going to comment on it anymore,” Zolnierczyk said. “We kind of discussed it with the hearing there. I just tried to deliver a hard hit and I apologized I got his head and that he was injured. I wish him the best. I hope he gets back soon.
 
“I respect the league’s decision. I don’t like it, but ultimately, I respect it. My job is to go out there and deliver a hard hit. That’s what I tried to do. Obviously, I had no intent of trying to get the guy’s head. That was the case. I apologized to him and that’s it.”
 
He will miss three critical games this week against the Rangers, Penguins and Bruins. Plus next Sunday’s game against Buffalo, too.
 
“It’s part of life,” Zolnierczyk said. “From my first year last year, I have missed more than four games.
 
“So it’s something I got to deal with here and keep myself in shape. Ultimately, I’ve got to be ready to go when the suspension is over and bring energy back into this lineup.”
 
Zolnierczyk twice said his intent was not to deliver a head shot. Lundin had his head down inside the Flyers' blue line but Harry Z. left his feet.
 
“That is where we are right now in hockey,” Zolnierczyk said. “You can say years ago maybe it wasn’t a penalty, but right now, that is what we’re calling. That’s the way it is and that is the league’s decision. I gotta live with it now.”

Loose pucks

Andrej Meszaros, still recovering from  a shoulder injury, missed practice. General manager Paul Holmgren said he was sick. Meszaros was expected back in the lineup this week, Holmgren said on Feb. 21 ... The Flyers left for New York after today's practice.

More Team Talk