A Story Involving Mike Vick, a Buffalo Wild Wings, Death Threats, and an Ex-MMA Fighter Who Wants Vick in a Cage

A Story Involving Mike Vick, a Buffalo Wild Wings, Death Threats, and an Ex-MMA Fighter Who Wants Vick in a Cage

What the hell is going on here?

The Huffington Post has a story about a Mike Vick appearance at a Buffalo Wild Wings that's been cancelled, although it turns out he was never really scheduled for such an appearance, protests were promised, death threats are being mailed, and, then in a separate but semi-connected chain of events, an ex-MMA fighter with a heart condition wants to fight Vick.

OK, let's try to tease this out.

Vick was allegedly scheduled for an autograph signing in York, Pa. on Oct. 31. Amidst some blowback, the Buffalo Wild Wings chain cancelled the event. A company spokesman told the Huffington Post the cancellation had nothing to do with negative publicity and that the real problem is that the appearance was never authorized via the appropriate channels.

Vick's agent, in a later update, e-mailed HuffPo himself to clarify that his client was never even booked for the event. So these kinds of protests posted on Facebook ...

"You suck. Your food sucks. Anyone who eats there sucks. And whoever thought liking/ supporting Michale Vick should burn in hell."

... were for naught.

Don't worry this is going somewhere.

Despite Buffalo Wild Wings' claim that this event was never approved and the Vick camp's claim that this was never happening anyway, a woman named Jamie Bartolo, the co-owner of JJ Cards N Toys, has been receiving death threats. Bartolo's company appears to have been the third party who was organizing the event at Buffalo Wild Wings, and she told a CBS affiliate she's been receiving the following messages:

"The message was, 'I wish your wife and kids would die,'" said Jamie Bartolo, co-owner, JJ Cards-N-Toys. Bartolo says there were thousands of them. "We're getting a lot of comments focused towards my family, hurting them, wishing they were dead, making comments that we are vile people for bringing him to this area," she added.

To recap so far, Buffalo Wild Wings denies an event was ever approved, Vick's people deny he was ever booked, and this woman, who claims she's an animal lover, is receiving death threats over an event that was never actually going to happen. So naturally, Joe Bartolo, fellow co-owner of JJ Cards N Toys, is insisting it's still going to happen.

Joe told the York Daily Record that "we are definitely going to have the signing," with the following caveats:

The location will be released on Monday or Tuesday to customers on the store's email list but will not be announced on social media accounts."Until then, we do not want people talking about it," Bartolo said.

The event might be promoted as an event with Eagles wide receiver DeSean Jackson instead of a Michael Vick event so that it does not garner as much national attention, he said.

Well, that plan kind of seems out the window now, since you know, he explained it, and it's now caught national attention. Solid work out of Joe. Jamie's receiving death threats and he's hosting Inside the Magician's Secrets.

Anyway, you still hanging around here? Be glad. Here's the part where a guy tries to fight Vick.

Gordon Shell, 44, is an ex-MMA fighter who stepped away from a 20-year career after being diagnosed with a heart condition. Shell now spends his time raising awareness for animal cruelty, and in spite of his condition, he wants one more fight -- with Vick.

He's willing to get punched one more time, though, if Vick says yes to what Shell hopes will be a match shown on Pay Per View, that would raise money for animal rescue groups and would also satisfy those who believe the now-Philadelphia Eagles quarterback's jail sentence and fines haven't been punishment enough.

"If you truly want redemption, if you truly want to be free, people want to see you bleed," says Shell. "At the end of the fight, I'm going to grab the microphone, and just announce to all the animal advocates, OK, this man has actually stepped up. We're both bleeding. He's bleeding. He's felt like what it's like to be a dog. Except he's still alive, we haven't electrocuted him. But he's stepped up. Now we have to let him finally be free."

If you're anything like me, you're currently asking yourself, what the hell does Gordon Shell have to do with the Bartolos or Buffalo Wild Wings. How did these two stories get paired together by HuffPo?

Shell's hoping that the protests will make enough of an impact on Vick's image and his earnings that once his career is is over as a professional athlete, they'll step in the ring.

Ahh. Well, until that happens, you can buy one of these T-shirts:

So there you have it.

Mike Vick was never scheduled for an event, which prompted bad PR for Buffalo Wild Wings, death threats for two individuals promoting an event they never really scheduled, and renewed attention for an MMA fighter who wants to fight Vick despite a medical condition that forced him out of the ring.

And this, it's worth noting, is not the first time a cancelled Vick appearance has been accompanied by death threats.

You're all doing just fine, citizens of America. Keep it up.

Link:
>>Michael Vick Appearance Canceled: MMA Fighter Gordon Shell Will Call Off More Protests If NFL Player Competes In Cage Match

Eagles head coach Doug Pederson talks protesting anthem, Myke Tavarres doesn't

Eagles head coach Doug Pederson talks protesting anthem, Myke Tavarres doesn't

A day after flip-flopping on whether or not he planned to stand or sit during the national anthem, Myke Tavarres had nothing to say about this complex issue.

Tavarres, a rookie undrafted linebacker with the Eagles, told ESPN on Monday he planned to emulate 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick and sit during the playing of the national anthem Thursday night prior to the Eagles’ preseason game against the Jets at The Linc.

Tavarres said he wanted to draw attention to racial inequality and social injustice with the demonstration.

"We’ve got an issue in this country in this day and age, and I feel like somebody needs to step up and we all need to step up,” Tavares  told ESPN.

But within a couple hours, Tavarres had changed his mind.

“Myke plans on standing for the national anthem,” his agent said in a statement. “Myke does not want to be a distraction to the Philadelphia Eagles organization. Mike’s goal is and will always be to make the Eagles’ 53-man roster and help the team win a Super Bowl.”

Kaepernick, who four years ago led the 49ers to the Super Bowl, spoke for 18½ minutes about his decision to sit during the Star-Spangled Banner.

Tavarres said at his locker after practice Tuesday he had nothing more to say.

“I made a statement through my agent last night,” he said. “If you have any other questions, please talk to him.”

Head coach Doug Pederson said he did not talk individually to Tavarres, a fringe prospect who is unlikely to survive this weekend’s roster cuts.

But he did discuss the broader issue in a meeting with the full team and said he believes his players should stand during the anthem.

“Listen, I can appreciate everybody's opinions and I respect everybody's opinions,” Pederson said.

“But at the same time, I feel that [the national anthem] is important and it's obviously out of respect for the men and women of our country that sacrifice in order for us to coach and play this great game.

“So I get it. I understand it. But at the same time, I encourage everybody to stand.”

If not yet suspended, Lane Johnson would start at RT in opener

If not yet suspended, Lane Johnson would start at RT in opener

The Eagles are just 12 days away from the season opener against the Browns. 

And Lane Johnson still isn't suspended. 

The Eagles' starting right tackle is facing a 10-game PED suspension once the B sample returns and shows the same peptide from an amino acid that his A sample did. Johnson expects it to, but it hasn't happened yet. On Aug. 13, after news broke about the looming suspension, Johnson said he thought the results from the B sample would come back in two to three weeks, although there's no set timetable.  

... Nothing yet. 

So, at what point do the Eagles, who shifted the offensive line in anticipation of the suspension, have to plan for Johnson to be active for the opener? 

"[That’s] a great question, and this is something that we wrestle with every day," head coach Doug Pederson said Tuesday. "The conversations are such that we've got to have — especially offensively — just have a plan ready to go. 

"I'll tell you this: If he's ready to go, then he's our guy." 

Since news of the impending suspension broke, Johnson has been working with the second team at right tackle. To replace him, the Eagles moved Allen Barbre from left guard to right tackle and inserted rookie Isaac Seumalo at left guard. Seumalo stayed there until an injury forced Stefen Wisniewski into the lineup. 

If there's no suspension and Johnson is able to play in the opener, things would then shift back. Johnson would take his job at right tackle, and Barbre would go back to left guard, sending Seumalo and/or Wisniewski to the bench. 

"I think he had a tremendous camp and tremendous offseason at left guard, and you kind of put the pieces back in place," Pederson said of Barbre. "We've seen enough from the Isaacs and Wisniewskis, and Allen over there at right tackle that we know we've got the combination of guys — and ‘Big V’ (tackle Halapoulivaati Vaitai) got plenty of reps — to sustain this thing through the duration."

For now, though, the Eagles aren't treating Johnson like a starter. The veteran will be playing on Thursday in the preseason finale against the Jets. It might be his last game until Nov. 28 against the Packers. Or not. 

The waiting game continues.

Tonight's lineup: Ryan Howard starts despite awful numbers vs. Max Scherzer

Tonight's lineup: Ryan Howard starts despite awful numbers vs. Max Scherzer

Despite having awful career numbers against Max Scherzer, Ryan Howard is in the Phillies' lineup against him Tuesday night.

Howard, 1 for 18 with 11 strikeouts against the Nationals' ace, bats fourth. 

Howard seems to be coming back to Earth. He hit .357 with seven home runs, four doubles and 16 RBIs in his first 20 games out of the All-Star break, but has gone 2 for 16 with two singles and eight strikeouts since.

Jimmy Paredes gets another start in left field. Peter Bourjos is out of the lineup for a fourth straight game.

The rest of the lineup is standard. Odubel Herrera, who bats second, is 6 for 19 with five walks in his career against Scherzer (see game notes).

1. Cesar Hernandez, 2B
2. Odubel Herrera, CF
3. Maikel Franco, 3B
4. Ryan Howard, 1B
5. Cameron Rupp, C
6. Aaron Altherr, RF
7. Jimmy Paredes, LF
8. Freddy Galvis, SS
9. Jerad Eickhoff, P