The year 2013 got off to a pretty good start for Philadelphia sports fans, with the firing on New Years' Eve of Andy Reid. Unfortunately, nothing else good happened for quite awhile, with the Phillies, Sixers and Flyers all turning in awful seasons. It was another year without a local championship, just like all of them except for '80, '83 and '08.
But there were happy developments too, even a few that didn't involve Nick Foles. Here are the ten best and ten worst things that happened in local sports this year:
1. That Flyers line brawl, in which Ray Emery skated the length of the ice in order to deck the Capitals' goalie, hereby kicking off one of the best weeks in Philadelphia sports history. Emery should never have to buy a drink in this town again.
2. Chip Kelly's appearance at Wing Bowl. Sure, the season itself has been pretty exciting, too. But wasn't that just awesome?
3. Nick Foles' emergence as the best Eagles quarterback ever, or at least since Jeff Garcia.
5. No longer in Philadelphia: Andy Reid, Andrew Bynum, Nnamdi Asomugha, Ilya Bryzgalov, Jason Babin, Juan Castillo, JIm Washburn, Delmon Young, Kwame Brown.
6. The Sixers finally discovered, years too late, that you have to lose to win.
7. The Redskins and Giants both suffered major, highly embarrassing franchise collapses. Your turn, Cowboys.
8. Chase Utley finally wrote back to Mac.
9. Bernie Parent's surprising emergence as America's leading sex advice columnist.
And the worst:
1. The Eagles retiring Donovan McNabb's number. A.J. Feeley was much more deserving.
2. Sam Hinkie's outrageous refusal to give talk radio interviews during the offseason.
3. Sports Illustrated putting Nick Foles on the cover. It's like they're trying to destroy us on purpose.
4. The Sixers hiring a new coach without even considering Allen Iverson.
5. Ilya Bryzgalov giving an interview in which he praised Stalin and, even worse, criticized Philadelphia.
7. Philadelphia was rejected as the host city for Wrestlemania in 2015, because apparently we're "not friendly enough." For Wrestlemania.
8. Nick Foles narrowly lost out to Pope Francis for Time's Person of the Year.
9. Cary Williams on sconses.
10. Cary Williams on the field.
Other Philly sports takes:
- Awesome win for the Eagles Sunday night against the Bears. But it's concerning to me that they couldn't get to 60 points. I'm afraid that might come back to bite them.
- I hear Festivus was earlier in the week, although for me, every day is the Airing of the Grievances.
- Comcast this week showed Ruben Amaro talking on his BlackBerry. Yes, he still uses a BlackBerry.
- Welcome, Josh Innes. Looking forward to speaking with you.
Merry Christmas, everyone! It's the one week out of the year when Santa Claus isn't associated primarily with irate Eagles fans.
Follow @FakeWIPCaller on Twitter.