The Whip: The key to an Eagles' win over Giants
LeSean McCoy received just 16 carries in the Eagles' loss to Denver. (USA Today Images)
Here are my bullet points for the Eagles heading into their showdown with the Giants on Sunday:
• It seems that Michael Vick is starting to get just a little agitated concerning comments about him holding the ball too long (see story). Vick even said he’d bring film to his news conferences so the media can do a little film study with him. Don’t do it, Mike! We might end up proving you wrong.
• Chip Kelly said Bryce Brown and Chris Polk have earned the right to play more, but how do you take your feature back LeSean McCoy off the field? In their season opener against Washington, the Eagles' offense ran 77 plays. In the last three games, they’ve run 58, 63 and 69 plays.
• Kelly is said to be an offensive genius, so why hasn’t he found more ways to get the ball into DeSean Jackson’s hands? Reverses, drag routes, anything to get No. 10 more touches. Playmakers can't make plays if they're not getting touches. D-Jac has only five catches in the last two games.
• Is it just me or does it appear that Todd Herremans has lost a little bit of his edge (see story)? Herremans has been inconsistent in pass blocking, and since he’s lining up next to rookie tackle Lane Johnson, it's imperative Herremans holds down his end of the deal on the right side.
• I miss the verbal jabs McCoy and Osi Umenyiora use to take at each other. Even Shady admitted that nobody on the Giants can take the place of Osi in terms of getting him fired up for this rivalry.
• Speaking of McCoy, I’d be shocked if he doesn’t have a big day against this Giants' defense that has been generous giving up yards and points. In his career, McCoy has been a Giants killer -- four of his 14 career 100-yard rushing outings have come against New York. That includes 100-plus rushing games in three of the last four games overall, and four of the last six games against the Giants.
• This should be a slam-dunk win for the Eagles, shouldn’t it? I mean, the Giants are bad, right? The Eagles can’t mess this one up, can they (see predictions)?