PHOENIX -- The NFL has suspended Arizona Cardinals inside linebacker Daryl Washington for one year for violating the league's substance abuse policy.
The punishment, announced Friday, was for substance abuse and did not mention his recent guilty plea to assaulting his ex-girlfriend.
Washington, in a statement released by his agent, said the penalty was for marijuana, and that he takes responsibility for the violation. He said he "is committed to making changes" in his life that will allow him to return to the NFL.
Considered among the best in the NFL at his position, Washington was suspended the first four games of last season for violating the substance abuse policy.
"It is completely unacceptable that Daryl has once again put us in this position," Cardinals general manager Steve Keim said in a statement released by the team. "We all know what the consequences are and will deal with them."
Washington, the team leader in tackles in 2011 and 2012, will lose $2.9 million in salary due to the suspension.
In March, Arizona exercised a $10 million option to keep him on the roster. Washington received $5 million then and the deals calls for him to get the other $5 million next March.
Washington said the NFL "policy is very strict, and I have chosen to take responsibility." (see full story)
Giants: Will Hill suspended for six games
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- New York Giants safety Will Hill was suspended for six games Friday by the NFL for violating the league's substance abuse policy.
Hill has failed three drug tests since 2012, and he lost an appeal for the latest infraction. He will be eligible to return on Oct. 13.
Hill was suspended for violating the performance enhancers policy two years ago, missing four games. He then missed the first four matches last season because of a substance abuse violation.
The Giants are expected to release Hill when his latest suspension ends.
Hill has played in just 24 games since being signed in 2012 as an undrafted free agent. He had two interceptions, returning one for a TD.
Jets: OC admits Smith has edge over Vick
NEW YORK -- Rex Ryan is right about the New York Jets' quarterback competition. And, so is Michael Vick.
Yes, both Vick and Geno Smith will compete for the starting job -- as Ryan has said all offseason. And, yes, Smith enters with a slight advantage -- as Vick has insisted since he signed in March.
Just ask offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg.
"It may not be quite like the competition we had last year, where everything was 50-50 (between Smith and Mark Sanchez)," Mornhinweg said during a conference call with season ticket holders Thursday. "Mike has all that experienced banked. We're trying to continue the progress with Geno and then have Mike ready to go.
"It's just that simple, and Mike knows exactly what expectations and roles he has."
Vick has said that it's "not an open competition" and Smith is the starter, while Ryan has insisted both quarterbacks will compete for the job.
"Mike is here to compete, to push and to help Geno become his very best," Mornhinweg said. "When Mike is called upon, Mike expects, and we expect him, to play at a high level."