Source: Cleary deal with Flyers 'not dead yet'

Source: Cleary deal with Flyers 'not dead yet'

September 11, 2013, 3:30 pm

Updated: 6:05 p.m.

Despite a report stating otherwise, the Flyers still expect Dan Cleary to report to training camp.

According to Elliotte Friedman of the CBC, there has been some kind of “complication” and Cleary will not be at training camp when it opens on Thursday at the Wells Fargo Center.
 
However, Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren said he isn't aware of any issue.

"I don't know anything until I hear it from the horse's mouth," Holmgren said.

And a team source said Wednesday the deal is "not dead yet."
 
Curiously, the free agent left wing, who an NHL source said had a three-year, $8.25 million contract waiting for him to sign on Oct. 1 when the Flyers would become salary cap compliant (see story), was to have been at the club’s photo shoot on Wednesday.

TSN's Aaron Ward is hearing that Cleary met with Red Wings GM Ken Holland and coach Mike Babcock on Wednesday.
 
A Flyers official said Wednesday morning that Cleary’s appearance had been pushed back to Thursday instead.
 
One Flyers source said late Wednesday that no one knew what problem had arisen with the 34-year-old former Red Wing, who could lend valuable experience and leadership to the roster.
 
Coach Peter Laviolette even talked in the morning about having conversations with both Cleary and Hal Gill about their roles in camp.
 
Both players were coming to camp on tryouts. Gill is already here.

More Team Talk