Plenty of people rip on the Mets. It's a regular old pastime in Philadelphia, a tradition handed down from generation to generation. But one person you'd probably not expect to rip into the Mets players is their owner, Fred Wilpon.
In a recent story for the New Yorker, Wilpon comments negatively about a handful of his star players. Jose Reyes has had everything wrong with him and won't get Carl Crawford money, David Wright is not a superstar, and Carlos Beltran is a shell of his former self.
Nothing that is entirely off base, and the Wright comment is more a question of what do you define a superstar to be, but it's always enjoyable to see New Yorkers attacking their own.
Adam Rubin of ESPN highlighted the juicy parts of the article, which also include quotes from Phillies fans favorite Mets supporter, Bernie Madoff. How can anyone take anything that guy says seriously these days?
>>Fred Wilpon takes shots at Mets players [ESPN]
Position Title: Intern
Company: Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia
# of hours / week: 10 – 20 hours
This position will work closely with the Vice President of Sales in generating revenue through commercial advertisements and sponsorship sales. The intern will gain first-hand sales experience through working with Sales Assistants and AEs on pitches, sales-calls and recapping material.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Assist Account Executive on preparation of Sales Presentations
• Cultivate new account leads for local sales
• Track sponsorships in specified programs
• Assist as point of contact with sponsors on game night set up and pre-game hospitality elements.
• Assist with collection of all proof of performance materials.
• Perform Competitive Network Analysis
• Update Customer database
• Other various projects as assigned
1. Good oral and written communication skills.
2. Knowledge of sports.
3. Ability to work non-traditional hours, weekends & holidays
4. Ability to work in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment
5. Must be 19 years of age or older
6. Must be a student in pursuit of an Associate, Bachelor, Master or Juris Doctor degree
7. Must have unrestricted authorization to work in the US
8. Must have sophomore standing or above
9. Must have a 3.0 GPA
Interested students should apply here and specify they're interested in the ad/sales internship.
About NBC internships
The Phillies have officially dipped into the trade waters.
The team traded reliever Pat Neshek and cash to the Colorado Rockies for shortstop Jose Gomez and right-handed pitchers Alejandro Requena and J.D. Hammer.
Neshek was the Phils’ lone All-Star this season as he pitched 40 1/3 innings and posted a 1.12 ERA. At one point, he had an 18-inning scoreless streak over 19 appearances.
More coming ...