NFL Settles Concussion Lawsuit for $765 Million

NFL Settles Concussion Lawsuit for $765 Million

Is it me, or does this seem like a win for the National Football League?

For the relatively low price of $765 million – just south of $24 million per owner, which works out to roughly 20% of this season’s salary cap – the NFL was able to settle their lawsuit with over 4,500 former players who argued the league knowingly conspired to conceal the long-term risks associated with concussions for decades. The settlement works out to an average of $170,000 per player.

On top of parting with a fraction of their yearly profits, from a public relations standpoint the league should be able to finally put this issue to rest, while likely avoiding the release of testimony that could have done irreparable damage to the shield’s image.

Here are some of the pertinent details via the Associated Press:

The NFL and more than 4,500 former players want to resolve concussion-related lawsuits with a $765 million settlement that would fund medical exams, concussion-related compensation and medical research, a federal judge said Thursday.

The settlement likely means the NFL won't have to disclose internal files about what it knew, when, about concussion-linked brain problems. Lawyers had been eager to learn, for instance, about the workings of the league's Mild Traumatic Brain Injury Committee, which was led for more than a decade by a rheumatologist.

Deadspin has more specifics on how the money will be doled out:

Of the settlement, $675 million will go directly to the former players and their families, $75 million to medical exams, and the rest for research. The money will be paid in installments over 20 years, with half coming in the first three years. Because this is a consolidation and not a class action suit, not all players will receive the same amount of money—it will be distributed on a case-by-case basis.

The good news is that thousands of professional athletes who were perhaps misled and as a direct result may have done irreparable harm to their brains will receive compensation and/or medical care thanks to this settlement. The NFL putting additional money toward researching brain trauma is a plus as well, and it’s something they should continue to do voluntarily.

Can’t help but feel like maybe they got off a little easy though considering the damage that’s been alleged. It should be interesting to see how this news is received in the football community, and if the story really will be shifted to the backburner with the suit finally resolved.

>> NFL, players reach $765M concussion settlement [AP]
>> NFL Settles Concussion Lawsuit From Former Players [Deadspin]

The Phillies season in one video: 'Phanatic tries to comfort crying baby'

The Phillies season in one video: 'Phanatic tries to comfort crying baby'

What is there to say about the Philadelphia Phillies?

In doing my usual postgame perusal of the Internet after their 7-2 loss on Wednesday night, I visited Phillies.com to see what kind of "highlights" they could have possibly posted from another crushing defeat at the hands of the Colorado Rockies.

Thankfully, the first thing that caught my eye was a video titled, "Phanatic tries to comfort crying baby."

It was not Larry Andersen in the Phanatic's arms. Nor me.

And that's the Phillies season in a nutshell.

"You gotta question the parenting skills here," John Kruk said on the telecast. And he's right! What kind of parent would raise their kid to be a Philly sports fan?!?

The Phillies now have the worst record in all of baseball. They're 4-20 in their last 24 games. It's their worst start to a season since 1960.

Even the Phanatic doesn't have enough popcorn to mask all the pain.

If you want to read about the upbeat approach Pete Mackanin is taking, go give this a gander.

"In a long season, these things sometimes happen," Mackanin told reporters. "I remember Atlanta, the first half last year, was terrible. They had a real good second half. I believe we just need to get something going. We're going to put something together. I believe that."

That makes one of us.

Highly ranked 2018 recruit Brandon Slater verbally commits to Villanova

Highly ranked 2018 recruit Brandon Slater verbally commits to Villanova

The future of Villanova basketball just got brighter.

Brandon Slater, a 6-foot-6 wing and highly touted 2018 recruit, told Scout.com on Wednesday night that he has verbally committed to the Wildcats.

He later made the announcement on Twitter.

Among the 2018 recruiting class, Slater, a product of Paul VI Catholic High School in Fairfax, Virginia, is ranked in the top 30 by Scout.com and top 50 by ESPN.com. He's slated as a four-star talent by both media outlets.

Per ESPN, Slater had offers from Louisville, Maryland, Miami, Syracuse, USC and Virginia Tech. He is Villanova's first commitment for 2018.

"Going up there it just feels like a second home," Slater said, via Evan Daniels of Scout.com. "It gives me a good vibe. It's nothing like all the other schools. I just feel like a Villanova guy. It feels like PVI. It's already home."

Slater and Villanova head coach Jay Wright expressed their excitement on Twitter.