Dalvin Cook set to meet with Eagles: Is he a 1st-round option?

Dalvin Cook set to meet with Eagles: Is he a 1st-round option?

INDIANAPOLIS -- We won't know how fast Dalvin Cook will run the 40-yard dash until Friday (Update: He ran a 4.49). But on Thursday afternoon, he certainly didn't waste any time.

The Florida State product is one of the top running backs in a draft class full of good ones.

In fact, he thinks he's the best.

"We got the top guys in this class at running back," Cook said, answering the first question thrown his way at the combine. "It's probably one of the best you've seen yet. I think what separates me, I can do it all. I can stay on the field all three downs. I'm just a do-it-all back. And I just feel like I am the best back in this class."

We won't know for years if Cook is right about being the best running back in this year's class, but we will find out what teams think on April 27 when picks start getting announced in Philly.

The Eagles will have either the 14th or 15th pick in the draft (a coin flip will decide). Depending on how the draft shakes out, Cook, who has been the desired pick for many Eagles fans, could be a real option.  

After stepping down from the podium on Thursday afternoon, Cook said he had a meeting set up with the Eagles on Thursday night. Meanwhile, LSU's Leonard Fournette said he hadn't yet met with the Eagles and Tennessee's Alvin Kamara said he had.

For now, Fournette is forecasted to go earlier in the first round and be the first back taken off the board. If that happens, he won't be available. And Kamara might sneak into the first round but might be a stretch at 14 or 15. Same with Christian McCaffrey.

Cook might go off the board around where the Eagles pick.

But will the Eagles pick him?

It's hard to tell. Last season, while the Eagles still had the eighth pick, de facto general manager Howie Roseman didn't discount the possibility of taking Ezekiel Elliott in that spot. Since then, Roseman has acknowledged that everything he said back then in regard to the draft was nonsense; they were just trying to move up to snag Carson Wentz.

While the Eagles moved up and drafted Wentz, the Cowboys took Elliott off the board at No. 4, put him behind a great offensive line, paired him with another electric rookie and watched him blossom into arguably the league's top back.

Cook thinks he can have similar success.

"It goes to show if a running back gets put in the right system and put in the right place, he can do a good amount of things for a team," Cook said. "I feel like if I get put in the right system, I can do the things Zeke did."

While the Eagles' needs at wide receiver and cornerback have been more publicized -- and probably for good reason -- they need some help at running back, too.

Ryan Mathews is coming off a serious neck injury and will likely not return to Philly. Kenjon Barner is a restricted free agent. Darren Sproles will play his final season in 2017 and Wendell Smallwood showed promise, but not enough to feel confident with him carrying the load.

The good news for the Eagles is that this is a really good draft class for running backs. Maybe better than ever.

"Certainly when you look at the running back position," Roseman said, "we think it's a possible historic class with how many guys and where they would have gone in previous drafts."

Even if the Eagles don't use their first-round pick on a running back and even if they don't take one of the top prospects in the class, it seems rather likely they'll snag one at some point during the seven rounds.

Players like D'Onta Foreman, Kareem Hunt, Jamaal Williams, Corey Clement and plenty of others could be options after the first round.  

And, yes, Cook is still in play in the first. After all, he's pretty fast on the field as well as at the podium.

What will his 40 time look like on Friday?

"I'm gonna run something fast," he said with a smile.

Eagles withdraw all but 1 rule proposal for owners meetings

Eagles withdraw all but 1 rule proposal for owners meetings

As the annual NFL meetings get set to kick off next week, the Eagles originally proposed four playing rule changes and a resolution that could have eventually led to bringing back Kelly green uniforms as an alternate option. 

But after getting feedback from the NFL's competition committee, the Eagles are withdrawing all but one proposal, according to league sources. 

The only one left would prohibit players from leaping over the line of scrimmage on kicking plays. For now, players are allowed to leap line as long as they don't make contact. That proposal, which the NFLPA has previously supported, seems likely to pass. 

That means the other three playing rule changes and the proposal to allow teams to wear helmets that would match their alternative jerseys won't be specifically discussed. 

Translation: No Kelly green jerseys yet. 

Among the 15 proposed playing rule changes the league released on Friday, teams were responsible for seven of them and the Eagles accounted for four of the seven. 

Just because a specific proposal won't be directly discussed, it doesn't mean that topic won't be discussed by the committee in Phoenix during next week's annual league meetings. 

For instance, one of the Eagles' proposals would alter the current replay system. While the Eagles' individual proposal won't be discussed, replay will be a topic of discussion during the meetings.

NFL Notes: Bears sign Mark Sanchez to 1-year deal

NFL Notes: Bears sign Mark Sanchez to 1-year deal

LAKE FOREST, Ill. -- The Chicago Bears have signed quarterback Mark Sanchez, who is expected to back up Mike Glennon next season.

The Bears announced the one-year contract Friday. Chicago is coming off a season in which it went 3-13 and finished last in the NFC North.

The Bears cut quarterback Jay Cutler this month after eight seasons and the next day signed Glennon of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to a three-year deal.

Sanchez played in two games last season with the Dallas Cowboys, throwing for 93 yards on 10 of 18 attempts. He spent five of his eight seasons in the NFL with the New York Jets before going to the Philadelphia Eagles.

The former Southern California star has appeared in six playoff games. He was selected fifth overall in the 2009 draft.

Redskins: WR Brian Quick signs
WASHINGTON -- The Washington Redskins have signed former Los Angeles Rams wide receiver Brian Quick.

The team announced the deal Friday morning after agent Patrick Dye posted a photo of Quick signing his contract on SportsTrust Advisors' verified Twitter account.

The signing adds depth to the Redskins' receiving corps after they lost DeSean Jackson and Pierre Garcon in free agency.

Quick, 27, is 6-foot-5 and gives Washington another tall option along with recently signed receiver Terrelle Pryor. Quick had 41 catches for 564 yards and three touchdowns last season with the Rams.

The 33rd pick in the 2012 draft, Quick has 105 catches for 1,499 yards and 10 touchdowns in 67 games over five seasons with the Rams. He missed part of the 2014 season with a shoulder injury.

Panthers: Jonathan Stewart signs extension
CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- The Panthers have signed veteran running back Jonathan Stewart to a one-year contract extension, keeping him with the team through the 2018 season.

Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed Friday.

Panthers general manager Dave Gettleman says the 30-year-old Stewart "is still playing at a very high level."

Stewart played in 13 games last season for Carolina and ran for 824 yards with nine touchdowns. He averaged 3.8 yards per carry.

Gettleman isn't worried about Stewart's durability, even though the team's former first-round draft pick has not played in a full 16-game season since 2011 and has missed 24 games the past five seasons with injuries.

Stewart, entering his 10th season, is Carolina's second all-time leading rusher with 6,638 yards and has scored 45 touchdowns rushing and six receivin

Colts: release veteran DT Arthur Jones
INDIANAPOLIS -- The Indianapolis Colts released defensive tackle Arthur Jones on Friday.

A six-year veteran, Jones was scheduled to cost the team $7.35 million next season. Indianapolis will save $5 million under the salary cap with the move.

Jones did his best work while with Baltimore from 2010-14. He then signed a five-year contract for a total value of $33 million with the Colts, but struggled in Indy. He appeared in 17 games and managed only 1 1-2 sacks and 53 tackles for the Colts.

He was plagued by a series of injuries and also served a four-game suspension for violating the NFL policy on performance enhancers.

Jones, 30, did not play in 2015 because of an ankle injury. He played in eight games last season, with 15 tackles.