NBC10: No warrant expected for LeSean McCoy until next week

usa-lesean-mccoy-bills.jpg

NBC10: No warrant expected for LeSean McCoy until next week

Updated: Feb. 12, 10:05 a.m.

One of LeSean McCoy's two lawyers, Larry Krasner, does not expect a decision on possible arrest warrants for McCoy and three other men until next week. On Thursday, law enforcement officials told CSNPhilly.com that the District Attorney’s office is “moving slowly for reason” and “this can’t be rushed.”

McCoy, former NFL running back Curtis Brinkley, former Pitt football player Tamarcus Porter and a friend, Christopher Henderson, are under investigation for their alleged involvement in a brawl with three off-duty police officers at Recess Lounge in Old City early Sunday morning. According to police reports and law enforcement officials, officers Darnell Jessie, Roland Butler and Sergeant Daniel Ayers purchased four bottles of champagne that evening. At one point, Butler and Porter argued over ownership of one of the bottles, which sparked a fight between the two groups. Jessie and Butler ended up in the hospital and were treated for various injuries including a broken nose, broken ribs and a possible skull fracture. Ayers was uninjured.

On Wednesday evening, Phillyinfluencer.com spoke briefly with McCoy as he and seven associates came out of Misconduct Tavern on JFK Boulevard. According to the site, when asked if he had something to say, McCoy replied that he “made a mistake.” McCoy’s camp later claimed he was misquoted. (CSNPhilly.com attempted to clean up the audio.)

McCoy has hired Philadelphia defense attorneys Krasner and Dennis Cogan as co-counsel. Cogan did not immediately return a request for comment. Krasner echoed McCoy’s camp and insisted his client had been misquoted.

"If you go back and listen to it," Krasner said, "he actually says 'I'll have a statement sooner or later.'"

TMZ posted a video on Tuesday of a man they claim is McCoy engaged in the fight at Recess. One incident report states that Butler was knocked to the ground and "punched, kicked and stomped about his body and head multiple times." Jessie was struck with a glass bottle on the left side of his eye by an unknown person, according to a police report.

Eagles pick up compensatory fourth-round pick from Browns

Eagles pick up compensatory fourth-round pick from Browns

The NFL announced the list of compensatory picks for the 2017 draft and the Eagles weren't awarded any.

They're still going to get one, though. 

Thanks to the trade with the Browns to move up to No. 2 in last year's draft, the Eagles got back a conditional fifth-round pick that has now turned into a fourth. 

Basically, if the Browns received a fourth-round compensatory pick, the Eagles would get it. The Browns were awarded two (Nos. 139 and 142), so the Eagles get one. According to a league source, the Eagles will get No. 139 overall, the higher of the two.  

This is the first year teams are allowed to trade compensatory picks. The Bengals, Browns, Broncos and Chiefs were each awarded four compensatory picks. The highest compensatory pick awarded this year belongs to Miami at No. 97 in the third round. 

The Eagles still don't know where they'll pick in the first round -- either No. 14 or 15. That will be determined by a coin flip next week at the combine in Indianapolis. They have eight draft picks in total.

Eagles wise to bring Jason Peters back, even with full salary

Eagles wise to bring Jason Peters back, even with full salary

This isn't a big surprise, but Jason Peters will be back with the Eagles -- big salary and all -- for the 2017 season.

While the Eagles approached the veteran left tackle about his contract in January, Peters has not restructured his deal, according to a league source. 

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport on Thursday morning reported that Peters will be back next season on his normal contract. 

Yes, Peters is expensive in 2017. His base salary after hitting another Pro Bowl escalator written into his contract is up to $10.45 million for next season (plus a $250K workout bonus), which comes with a big cap hit of $11.7 million. That cap hit is the highest on the team, but not outlandish for a high-caliber left tackle. 

The Eagles could have very well cut Peters and moved on. It would have saved them significant cap space to use elsewhere. They just wouldn't have found any player more valuable to pay with that money. 

Peters, 35, is still their best option to protect Carson Wentz's blind side. He made his ninth Pro Bowl in 2016 after playing all 16 games. The team hasn't been shy about wanting him back and Peters toward the end of the season said he wanted to return for another year. 

"We certainly want to have him back," Eagles vice president of football operations Howie Roseman said of Peters in early January.

“I love him. I want him on the team,” head coach Doug Pederson said with two games remaining this past season. “I don’t want him to go anywhere."

With Peters back, it means Lane Johnson's eventual trip to left tackle will be held off for another year. Eventually, he'll take over that spot … just not right now. 

During the season, Peters opened up about his future, saying he hopes Wentz can be the guy who finally gets him a Super Bowl ring (see story).