NEW YORK -- Brandon Marshall is on the move again -- and the New York Jets' roster purge of big-name players with big salaries continues.
The Jets are releasing the well-traveled wide receiver and clearing $7.5 million on the salary cap, a person with direct knowledge of the team's decision told The Associated Press on Thursday night.
The person spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity because the team had not yet announced the move, which was expected to come Friday.
Marshall is the latest star to be cut by the Jets, who have also parted ways with Darrelle Revis, Nick Mangold, Nick Folk and Breno Giacomini this offseason. New York has cleared nearly $46 million in cap space during the past few weeks (see full story).
Jets: Bowles says Revis arrest 'shocking'
INDIANAPOLIS -- Todd Bowles acknowledged that he was stunned when he first heard the news that Darrelle Revis was arrested last month in Pittsburgh.
The New York Jets coach insisted, however, that the legal issues played no role in the team telling the cornerback, one of the franchise's greatest players, on Tuesday that it will be releasing him.
"No, not at all," Bowles told reporters at the NFL combine on Thursday.
Revis, 31, was scheduled to make $15 million, including a $2 million roster bonus, next season. That would have been a lofty salary for an aging player who admittedly had a subpar year, so the move -- which saves the Jets $9.3 million on the salary cap -- was not unexpected (see full story).
Dolphins: Tannehill to be ready for workouts
INDIANAPOLIS -- Ryan Tannehill is expected to be ready for the Miami Dolphins' offseason program after missing the final four games of last season because of a sprained left knee, general manager Chris Grier said Thursday.
Tannehill was able to avoid surgery, had a successful rehabilitation and isn't expected to miss any team workouts.
"Ryan has done a tremendous job working," Grier said at the NFL combine. "He'll be there in April when they start with his teammates. He's fine, he's good. I saw him the other day and he's working out. So he'll be healthy, he's ready to go, and I know he'll be excited for next year."
The Dolphins spent several weeks after the season assessing the extent of their quarterback's ACL and MCL sprains before ruling out surgery, which could have jeopardized his availability for the start of the season (see full story).