Police admit mistake in Jackson burglary case

usa-desean-jackson-eagles.jpg

Police admit mistake in Jackson burglary case

According to information provided to NBC10, the initial amount of cash reportedly stolen from DeSean Jackson's house was incorrect.

Philadelphia Police at first estimated $200,000 in cash was stolen from Jackson's home after a preliminary interview with his mother, Gayle, who said her son typically has that much in the safe that was robbed. But when police talked with Jackson, he said only $20,000 along with a handgun was in a safe at the time of the break-in. A gold and diamond watch worth $110,000 was also taken.

"No one misled us and no one lied to us about what was taken," Lt. John Stanford said. "This was a genuine mistake on our part.

"His mother was giving police what she thought was in the home. Once they interviewed Jackson, he knows what's in his house, and he said, 'No that's wrong.' He told them what was missing."

The burglary was first reported on Jan. 11.

Carson Wentz back at practice, frustrated he’s out for Eagles Thursday night

Carson Wentz back at practice, frustrated he’s out for Eagles Thursday night

Carson Wentz was on the fields at the NovaCare Complex wearing a helmet and ready to practice on Monday for the first time since fracturing his ribs on Aug. 11 against the Bucs.

He’s getting better. Just not quickly enough.

Despite being back at practice Monday afternoon, Wentz will not play in the Eagles’ preseason finale against the Jets on Thursday night. The original hope was that the No. 2 overall pick would be ready for the fourth preseason game.

“That’s a no-go for this week, but I’ll be ready for Week 1,” Wentz said.

Eagles head coach Doug Pederson said a CT scan on Wentz’s ribs showed one was completely healed, while the other was just 60 percent healed (see story).

Wentz said he expects to be fully healed by Sept. 11, when the Eagles open the season against the Cleveland Browns. But by then, he will have missed three of his four opportunities to play in the preseason. And, as the third-stringer, he won’t even be active on game days.

“It’s tough,” Wentz said. “With all injuries, it’s tough not being on the field, especially as a competitor coming in here, these preseason games were going to be big for me. It’s tough, it’s frustrating, but it just kind of is what it is.”

In his only game this preseason, Wentz went 12 for 24 for 89 yards and an interception. He also ran three times for 15 yards. During that game, he showed flashes of why the Eagles were so high on him, but it was just a taste.

After Thursday night, he will have spent the rest of the preseason as a spectator during games, taking mental reps instead of real ones.

Mental reps help, certainly. Wentz stands on the sideline and mentally inserts himself into the play. What would he do here? What would his read be there? What would he do with a certain protection?

“You’re really just trying to be locked in like you were the guy in the game,” he said.

Mental reps are great. But they don’t replace the real ones. Nothing does.

So while Wentz has been working to get better since going down with the ribs injury earlier this month, he’s lost valuable practice and game reps that he won’t get back. Pederson said once the season starts, the team can’t help him make them up because it will be too focused on getting the starters ready to play.

“You have to make the most of every opportunity you have in practice,” Wentz said. “I feel confident with where I am. Obviously, I missed the couple preseason games. I know when my number gets called, I’ll be ready.”

Pederson on Monday said he was less concerned about Wentz because Wentz is the third-string quarterback behind Sam Bradford and Chase Daniel. That was the plan before Wentz’s injury. Then the injury cemented that plan.

Does Wentz have any hope that he’ll play during his rookie season?

“I’ll be ready to go,” he said. “It’s not up for me to decide. We’ve been talking about this forever now. I know I’ll be ready to go and I’m excited for when I’m back out there. Practicing today, I’m excited for that too.”

Eagles LB Myke Tavarres will join Colin Kaepernick, won't stand for national anthem

Eagles LB Myke Tavarres will join Colin Kaepernick, won't stand for national anthem

San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick made headlines last week when he refused to stand for the national anthem during a preseason game, and an Eagles linebacker fighting for a roster spot says he'll do the same in their final preseason contest.

Kaepernick decided not to stand because of the divisive and violent racial issues that have been building in America. Tavarres has taken a similar stance, telling ESPN.com's Tim McManus on Monday that he nearly followed Kaepernick's lead by sitting out the anthem in Indianapolis.

"Oh, I thought about it. Believe me, I definitely thought about it," Tavarres told ESPN. "And usually I'm front and center on the line with the rest of the guys, and that's since pre-K all the way up. Saturday's game, I stepped back, I was in the background, and it didn't feel right to me at all, and so I will be taking a stand — or sitting down — for the fourth game.

"We've got an issue in this country in this day and age, and I feel like somebody needs to step up and we all need to step up. We've got that right. There's just a lot going on that people don't want to talk about, and I feel like us as athletes, we're looked at as role models. And I feel like with Colin Kaepernick, he's doing a great job for standing up in what he believes in, and most people may not like that, but that's his opinion, he's entitled to it, and I respect him for doing it."

According to the report, Eagles defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz had players express their feelings about the topic during a meeting Monday and Tavarres was one of the players who spoke, along with team leader Malcolm Jenkins and cornerback Leodis McKelvin.

Jenkins discussed the topic with USA Today over the weekend.

"At some point, I think guys in multiple sports across the country, guys are starting to realize if we do want a change, it is something we need to get involved in at some point," Jenkins said.

“I have already done some things. I have spoken to the police commissioner of Philadelphia. We are trying to come up with some plans to do some stuff on the ground and get some work done. A lot of what is going on in the country is outrageous. I try to be careful. I ask myself what is the outcome that I want to see and how do I go about that?

"At the end of the day when it comes down to relationships of African Americans in this country right now, my entire family is black. I can sit on my stage and act like these things don’t apply to me but my two brothers, my dad, my mom, all of them are dealing with the same thing."

Tavarres, meanwhile, is not a lock to make the Eagles' final 53-man roster, but their lack of depth at backup linebacker has created an opportunity for him. Dave Zangaro had Tavarres on the practice squad in his roster projection Monday. 

"In this situation, I've really got nothing to lose," Tavarres told McManus. "I'm a rookie free agent, haven't signed any major contract, so there's not a lot of money on the line, I don't have any big endorsement deals on the line. Really what's at stake is my pride and what kind of man would I be and what kind of African-American would I be if I didn't stand my ground on this issue we have today?

"[It] needs to be done. Will there be backlash? Probably. I don't think anyone has bought my jersey yet, so I don't know if it's going to be burned, but it's a major issue and I'm definitely going to stand my ground for this one."

NFL Notes: Broncos name QB Trevor Siemian Week 1 starter over Mark Sanchez

NFL Notes: Broncos name QB Trevor Siemian Week 1 starter over Mark Sanchez

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — Trevor Siemian is Peyton Manning's successor.

Coach Gary Kubiak told the team Monday that Siemian will be the starting quarterback when the Denver Broncos face Carolina in the season opener Sept. 8.

Kubiak informed Siemian, Mark Sanchez and Paxton Lynch of his decision before telling their teammates.

Siemian has just one NFL snap on his resume, a kneel-down when he was the No. 3 QB last year behind Manning and Brock Osweiler.

Manning retired and Osweiler left for Houston after the Super Bowl.

General manager John Elway acquired Sanchez from the Eagles and drafted Lynch. The Broncos will save $3.5 million and a conditional seventh-round draft pick if they cut Sanchez, as expected.

Chargers: Team announces they've signed Joey Bosa to 4-year deal
SAN DIEGO -- The San Diego Chargers say they've signed rookie defensive end Joey Bosa to a four-year contract.

The announcement late Monday morning came five days after the two sides went public in their nasty spat over payment of Bosa's $17 million signing bonus and whether the contract would have offset language.

The Chargers threatened last Wednesday to reduce their offer to Bosa under the assumption he wouldn't be ready to play a full season. Bosa, the No. 3 overall pick out of Ohio State, was the last rookie to sign.

It also came a day after San Diego's defense played poorly in a 23-10 exhibition loss at Minnesota.

There was no immediate indication of what led to the deal getting done.

Browns: Veteran LB Paul Kruger cut
CLEVELAND — The Browns have released linebacker Paul Kruger, a startling move in another step in the team's youth movement.

Kruger started 46 games and made 18 sacks in three seasons for Cleveland and was considered one of the team's leaders. He was signed in 2013 after four seasons with the Baltimore Ravens.

The 30-year-old recorded just 2.5 sacks last season as the Browns struggled to find the right role for him. Last week, the Browns traded linebacker Barkevious Mingo. Rookies Emmanuel Ogbah or Joe Schobert could take Kruger's starting spot.

Kruger posted a statement on Twitter in which he thanked the Browns but said his release was "absolutely the wrong decision."

The Browns also terminated the contracts of defensive end Nick Hayden and quarterback Austin Davis. The team waived kicker Travis Coons, giving Patrick Murray the starting job.

Redskins: Team signs veteran defensive lineman Cullen Jenkins
ASHBURN, Va. -- The Washington Redskins have signed defensive lineman Cullen Jenkins.

Washington, which announced the signing on Monday, worked Jenkins out earlier Monday and he was on the field for practice.

The 35-year-old spent the past three seasons with the New York Giants and has also played for the Philadelphia Eagles and Green Bay Packers during his 12-year NFL career.

Jenkins, who has 332 tackles and 47.5 sacks in 169 games, brings needed depth to the Redskins' defensive line.