Roger Goodell looks to move NFL past 'tough year'

ap-nfl-roger-goodell.jpg

Roger Goodell looks to move NFL past 'tough year'

PHOENIX -- As if wishing made it so, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell described his league -- and himself -- as having addressed missteps on difficult matters such as domestic violence and being ready to move on.

"As an organization, and as an individual, it's been a tough year," Goodell said Friday during his pre-Super Bowl news conference, "but a year of great progress, and I'm excited about the future."

Nearing the end of a season he acknowledged was filled with "plenty of challenges," Goodell was asked whether he thought he deserved a pay cut -- "That's up to the owners," he replied -- and whether he could envision resigning or being fired.

"No, I can't. Does that surprise you?" Goodell said. "We've all done a lot of soul-searching, beginning with yours truly. And we have taken action."

Goodell brushed aside a question about whether there are conflict-of-interest problems with paying those who head up "independent" investigations, such as into the league's handling of the Ray Rice case or the ongoing look at the New England Patriots' use of deflated footballs in the AFC title game.

"We have had people who have had uncompromising integrity" run those inquiries, Goodell said. Then, speaking directly to the reporter, he added: "Somebody has to pay them ... unless you're volunteering, which I don't think you are."

Rice is the former Baltimore Ravens running back who punched his now-wife in an elevator, drawing an initial suspension from Goodell of two games. Goodell changed that to an indefinite ban after video from inside the elevator was posted by TMZ. Rice later appealed, and an arbitrator reinstated him.

That and other domestic violence cases led the league to design a new personal conduct policy, which was approved unanimously by owners but has been criticized by the players' union.

"We've made enormous progress," Goodell said Friday. "We're in a good place."

On the main topic of conversation heading into Super Bowl week -- the deflated footballs used by the New England Patriots in the AFC championship game -- Goodell said: "Whether a competitive advantage was actually gained or not is secondary in my mind to whether that rule was violated."

A resolution will not come until after the Super Bowl.

"We don't know enough in this investigation to know who was responsible or whether there was even an infraction," Goodell said.

Patriots owner Robert Kraft has said he expects the investigation to determine his team did nothing wrong -- and he expects an apology from the NFL. Kraft did not attend Friday's news conference.

Another issue that won't be resolved until after the season's final game, Goodell said, is whether Seattle Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch will be fined for refusing to answer any questions at required media sessions this week. The NFL docked Lynch $100,000 earlier this season for not talking to reporters.

"I understand it may not be on the top of his list," Goodell said, "but everyone else is cooperating, everyone else is doing their part."

On other topics, Goodell said:

-- Any club's move to Los Angeles, without an NFL team for 20 years, would have to be approved by owners, and "there have been no determinations of us going to Los Angeles, any particular team going to Los Angeles or going to any particular stadium." The St. Louis Rams, Oakland Raiders and San Diego Chargers have been viewed as the teams most likely to try to head to L.A. Goodell also noted that San Diego needs a new stadium, as does Buffalo.

-- The league will take a look at possibly expanding instant replay reviews to include whether a penalty was committed and consider rotating officiating crews during the regular season. Crews currently work together all season long.

-- Adding more playoff teams is also on the table, but there are concerns, including "the risk of diluting our regular season and conflicting with college football in January."

-- The league is hiring a chief medical officer to oversee health-related policies.

NFL Notes: Chargers withdraw offer to 1st-round pick Joey Bosa

ap-joey-bosa.jpg
Associated Press

NFL Notes: Chargers withdraw offer to 1st-round pick Joey Bosa

SAN DIEGO -- The San Diego Chargers have withdrawn their contract offer to first-round draft pick Joey Bosa and will restructure a new deal that takes into account his absence from the team.

The Chargers' statement Wednesday said they believe "Joey will be unable to contribute for the full 16-game season without the adequate time on the practice field, in the classroom, and in preseason games." They characterized their previous offers to the Ohio state defensive end as fair and structurally consistent with the contracts of every other Chargers player."

Bosa is the only first-rounder who has not signed with his team.

Negotiations stalled over when Bosa's $17 million bonus would be distributed and offset language in the contract.

San Diego said it offered an initial signing bonus payment larger than any draftee received in the last two drafts, and more money in 2016 than anyone draftee except Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz.

Giants: Owner Mara 'comfortable' with Brown suspension
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- A visibly shaken Giants owner John Mara said Wednesday he was fine with the NFL's suspension of placekicker Josh Brown for one game, despite allegations Brown abused his ex-wife as many as 20 times prior to the Giants signing Brown to a two-year extension last spring.

The 37-year-old Brown was arrested in May 2015, when he allegedly grabbed his ex-wife Molly by the throat and held her down with his knee in their Woodinville, Washington home. Brown was charged with fourth-degree domestic assault. Five days later, the King County prosecutor's office dropped the charges because of insufficient evidence. Brown's ex-wife reportedly dropped the charges.

After the NFL hit Brown with a one-game suspension instead of the six games mandated by the league's new personal conduct policy, Molly Brown told media she was physically accosted at least 20 times, including once when she was pregnant in 2009.

Vikings: Bridgewater: 'Of course' I expect to play Sunday 
EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. -- Minnesota Vikings quarterback Teddy Bridgewater says he'll play this weekend in the first game at the team's new stadium.

Bridgewater was coy after practice Wednesday about his shoulder injury, but he said "of course" when asked if he's expecting to take the field Sunday for the opener at U.S. Bank Stadium. The Vikings host San Diego, and the third exhibition contest is typically when the starters play the longest in the preseason.

Last week at Seattle, Bridgewater was a surprise scratch from the lineup. Coach Mike Zimmer has refused to discuss his condition.

Offensive coordinator Norv Turner said Wednesday he didn't see any limitations with Bridgewater the day before.

Panthers: Rivera expects Short to get long-term deal
CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Coach Ron Rivera says defensive tackle Kawann Short is "too important a player" for the Panthers not to sign him to a long-term contract.

Short has one year remaining on his rookie deal. He's outperformed his current contract, recording 11 sacks last season while being named NFC Player of the Month twice.

Rivera said Wednesday that "somewhere along the line, those are good guys, they'll figure it out. I believe they will. ... (Short) likes where he is. We'll see where it all unfolds."

Panthers general manager Dave Gettleman has a policy of not discussing contract negotiations in the media.

Gettleman also does not negotiate contracts once the regular season begins, so the Panthers essentially have two weeks to strike a deal.

Short said last month he has no plans to holdout.

Lane Johnson declares he's done taking supplements

Lane Johnson declares he's done taking supplements

No more supplements, Lane Johnson says. Those days are over.
 
Johnson, who faces a 10-game NFL suspension after a second positive test for a banned substance, said Wednesday he’s finished taking anything that could possibly put him at risk for a career-threatening third suspension.
 
Johnson claims the amino acid he ordered online and took was approved by the NFL but was tainted with a banned substance that didn't appear on the label, the so-called peptide found in Johnson’s sample.
 
Johnson also said he is planning to take legal action against the company that provided him with the amino acid.
 
“Going after them,” he said. “I have people on it to get it done.”

Johnson declined to identify the company that supplied him with the supplement.

Johnson was suspended for four games in 2014. A third suspension would result in a two-year ban.
 
“Seriously, I don’t want to have to go through this again,” Johnson said at his locker after practice Wednesday. “Unless something changes, the policy, I don’t trust anything.
 
“I can’t risk it. If it happens again, I miss two years and I’m just not going to risk that happening. I’m not taking any chances.

"Food and water. That's all I'm going to put in my system. Food and water. No supplements, no powders, nothing."
 
Johnson has been practicing with the second team and playing in the preseason games while he awaits his fate.

Johnson was the fourth pick in the 2013 draft, the Eagles' highest-drafted player since Donovan McNabb was the second pick in 1999.
 
Once Johnson’s B sample comes back — presumably positive, since Johnson has admitted taking the supplement — Johnson said he plans to appeal the suspension. But he said he doesn’t expect it to be reduced.
 
“Even if you prove it (was tainted), there’s nothing you can do,” he said.
 
It would be unusual for an NFL offensive lineman to not use any supplements at all.
 
“Look in everybody’s locker,” Johnson said. “Everybody’s got ‘em. But you just don’t know what’s really in them.”
 
Players say supplements help them not only to build strength and muscle but also in their recovery following games.
 
Johnson insists he can get by without them.
 
“You’ve got cold tubs, you’ve got different stuff you can do, foam rolling, soft tissue stuff,” he said. “There’s only limited (benefits) with that stuff. I think I’ll be fine.”

Meanwhile, he waits.

“It’s like waiting for an execution date,” he said. “It’s been living hell the past month.”

Isaac Seumalo to miss Saturday; Stefen Wisniewski sees game as audition

Isaac Seumalo to miss Saturday; Stefen Wisniewski sees game as audition

Since he joined the Eagles on a one-year deal this offseason, veteran Stefen Wisniewski has been focused on becoming a starter.
 
He’ll get a chance to show what he can do Saturday.
 
Rookie Isaac Seumalo, who has been working as the first-team left guard since Allen Barbre was shifted to fill in at right tackle for Lane Johnson, has a strained pec muscle and will miss Saturday night’s preseason game against the Colts. Wisniewksi will start in his place.
 
And the veteran sees the game as an audition for the starting gig.
 
“Yeah, I definitely think it’s an audition to be the starter,” Wisniewski said. “I think I’ve been playing starter-quality football all camp. And the job’s still open and just going to try to continue to do what I’ve been doing, play really well and show that I can be the starter.”
 
But can he actually win the job? Is there anything he can do on Saturday to keep Seumalo from retaking the left guard spot?
 
“I’m not saying he can’t win it,” head coach Doug Pederson said, “but I’m saying right now I’m not going to let an injury keep Isaac out of the starting rotation.”
 
Wisniewski, 27, has played in 77 career games and has 77 career starts. At the time he signed, he was clearly frustrated that a longer-term deal didn’t come his way. Now, he’s determined to keep his starting streak alive.
 
“That’s definitely my goal,” Wisniewksi said. “I’d be lying if I told you I wouldn’t be disappointed if I was the backup.”
 
Seumalo was plugged into the starting left guard spot just after a less-than-stellar performance against Tampa Bay in the first preseason game. At the time, it was a surprise to some that Seumalo was handed the job, even though he was a third-round pick.
 
Despite Seuamlo’s being in the lead, Wisniewski said he thinks the competition has been fair.
 
“Yeah, I mean, as far as I’m aware, it’s been an open competition and it’s still an open competition,” Wisniewski said. “That’s as fair as it can be. I’ve been getting a lot of reps at guard, so have the other guys. That’s all I can ask for.”