Phillies Notes: Zambrano, Halladay and Pettibone

slideshow-062412-phillies-zambrano-ap.jpg

Phillies Notes: Zambrano, Halladay and Pettibone

SAN DIEGO -- Phillies officials will have one more start to evaluate Carlos Zambrano before determining whether to bring him to the majors.

Zambrano can walk away from his minor-league deal on Monday if he is not promoted to the big club.

“He has one more scheduled start then obviously it will be time to make a decision,” GM Ruben Amaro Jr. said Monday night.

That start will likely come Friday night for Triple A Lehigh Valley. Zambrano, 32, has already made three starts for Lehigh Valley. He has pitched 17 innings in those games, allowed 16 hits and six earned runs while walking nine and striking out 17.

Listening to Amaro talk, it sounds like Zambrano has a ways to go.

“If we thought he could help us he’d already be here,” Amaro said.

While the bullpen remains a possibility for Zambrano, Amaro said, “We still view him as starting pitching depth for us.”

Halladay's rehab
Roy Halladay, who had shoulder surgery on May 15, is playing catch at about 60 feet.

“Tossing is the key word,” said Halladay, who said he feels good.

Halladay still has miles upon miles to go in his rehab -- he hopes to pitch late in the season -- but pitching coach Rich Dubee likes what he sees so far.

“It looks very, very good,” Dubee said. “The arm action is good. He’s able to get his arm up where before he couldn’t do that on a consistent basis. He’s a long way from pitching, but everything is going according to plan.”

Halladay will have a checkup with surgeon Neal ElAttrache on Thursday in Los Angeles.

No issues for Pettibone
Jonathan Pettibone, who experienced back stiffness in his last start, had no problems in his regular between-starts bullpen session Monday and is a go for Thursday in Los Angeles.

Source: Phillies agree to 1-year deal with reliever Joaquin Benoit

Source: Phillies agree to 1-year deal with reliever Joaquin Benoit

The Phillies have agreed to a one-year, $7.5 million contract with right-handed reliever Joaquin Benoit, a source tells CSN's Jim Salisbury.

Benoit, 39, was the 11th-oldest pitcher in baseball last season, but he's remained effective as he's aged. Since 2010, Benoit has a 2.40 ERA and 0.97 WHIP, he's struck out 10.0 batters per nine innings while walking 2.8, and allowed a .189 batting average.

Benoit has also maintained his velocity through the years. His fastball averaged 94.2 mph last season, which is actually faster than it was in 2010.

Benoit has been in the majors for 15 years, spending eight with Texas, three with Detroit, two with San Diego, one with Tampa Bay and a half-season apiece with Seattle and Toronto.

Benoit has experience closing but has spent the majority of his career as a setup man. Benoit, along with Hector Neris, figures to have a place in the eighth or ninth inning for the Phillies in 2017, perhaps pushing last year's closer, Jeanmar Gomez, back to the seventh inning.

The Phillies have not yet officially announced the signing of Benoit and will need to clear a spot on the 40-man roster to make room for him.

MLB Notes: Dodgers sign LHP Rich Hill to 3-year deal

MLB Notes: Dodgers sign LHP Rich Hill to 3-year deal

LOS ANGELES — The Dodgers have signed free-agent pitcher Rich Hill to a three-year contract after he went 3-2 with a 1.83 ERA in six starts with the team he joined at the trade deadline.

The 36-year-old left-hander was acquired in a five-player trade with Oakland on Aug. 1. Hill was 1-1 with a 3.46 ERA in three postseason starts for the NL West champion Dodgers, including tossing six scoreless innings to win Game 3 of the NL Championship Series against the Chicago Cubs.

Hill was 12-5 with a 2.12 ERA in 20 starts for the Dodgers and A's last season. His ERA was second-best in the majors behind Dodgers teammate Clayton Kershaw's 1.69.

Hill was limited at times by a finger blister and a groin injury.

He has a 38-28 career record with a 4.10 ERA in 221 games in 12 major league season with the Cubs, Orioles, Red Sox, Indians, Angels, Yankees, A's and Dodgers.

Japan: Otani could be headed to MLB
TOKYO — Japanese pitcher Shohei Otani says he could move to Major League Baseball after the 2017 season.

The 22-year-old righthander, who has also shown potential as a hitter, signed a $2.37 million contract for next season with the Nippon Ham Fighters on Monday.

Otani will not become eligible for free agency until after the 2021 season and will need the Fighters' approval to negotiate with a major league club through the posting system before that time.

Otani says "we discussed the possibility of me going. ... The club will respect my wishes whenever I decide I want to go."

Otani went 10-4 as a pitcher and batted .322 with a career-high 22 home runs this season for the Fighters.

Blue Jays: Pearce signs
TORONTO — The Toronto Blue Jays signed utility player Steve Pearce to a two-year, $12.5 million contract.

The Blue Jays announced the move Monday. It could spell the end of Edwin Encarnacion's tenure in Toronto as Pearce primarily plays first base and first baseman Kendrys Morales and Justin Smoak are also on the roster.

Pearce hit .288 with 13 home runs in 85 games for Tampa Bay and Baltimore last season. The right-handed hitter can also play second base and left and right field and hit .309 against left-handed pitchers.

Not signing fan favorite Encarnacion will not go over well in Toronto, which led the American League in attendance. Encarnacion hit 42 home runs and led the AL with 127 RBIs along with David Ortiz. The Blue Jays might also let free agent right fielder Jose Bautista sign elsewhere.

Toronto has avoided large long-term contracts since Mark Shapiro became president of the club following the 2015 season.

Pearce, 33, underwent surgery to repair flexor tendons in his right forearm in late September and was expected to be out four to six months.