Phillies move prospect Singleton back to first base

Phillies move prospect Singleton back to first base
June 3, 2011, 4:06 am
Share This Post

Friday, June 3, 2011
Posted: 12:06 a.m.

By Jim Salisbury
CSNPhilly.com

Heres an interesting bit of news from the Phillies minor-league system:

The organization has moved top position-player prospect Jonathan Singleton back to first base, his original position. Singleton had been playing left field since the Florida instructional league last fall and he had been playing the position this season at Single A Clearwater.

A 19-year-old product of the 2009 draft, Singleton had been moved to left field because his path to the majors was blocked by Ryan Howard, who is signed through 2016.

Singleton opened this season at Clearwater by hitting .259 with three homers and 17 RBIs in his first 43 games. Assistant general manager Chuck LaMar said he sensed that Singleton was pressing.

I wanted to get him back to his comfort zone in hopes that it would relax him and help him at the plate, LaMar said. Jonathanis very happy with the move. This should help him relax and play with more looseness. He feels more into the game at first base. I think there were times when he was standing out in left field worrying about his hitting.

LaMar stressed that the Phillies could re-visit the outfield experiment down the road as Singleton rises through the system. In fact, Singleton may still play occasionally in left field this season.

But hell get most of his at-bats the rest of this season at first base, LaMar said.

Singleton was an eighth-round draft pick in 2009. He hit .290 with 25 doubles, 14 homers and 77 RBIs in 104 games at Single A Lakewood as an 18 year old last season.
E-mail Jim Salisbury at jsalisbury@comcastsportsnet.com

Related: Victorino returns Friday; who leaves to clear space? Phillies scouts in final prep for Monday's draft

Latest News