Let's make this quick. Which player almost gave you a heart attack this weekend? For me, it was Brad Lidge. But the Phils downed the Fish and the righty reliever saved his 40th game in as many tries. Some have been lights out. Some, like yesterday, have been....interesting. A win is a win and a save is a save. The Phillies exited a tough series with Florida in better shape than when they got there, and find themselves in first place by a game and a half over the Mets (and three up on the Brewers for the Wild card - you know, just in case) with six games to play. If anyone on this site starts with the Magic Number stuff I'm going to punch them in the throat.
Six games in seven days. Let's hope they win the next five, then we'll figure out the rest. How about that?
Some of you might be feeling constant palpitations because of the news out of Eagles camp regarding Brian Westbrook. Despite the big win over a good team, and the resurgence of the defense, the story after the game is 36. Westbrook rolled his ankle after leaping and slipping on an offensive lineman laying in his landing zone. He will undergo an MRI today. I wonder if it will be a Westbrook Open MRI. That machine is bad ass.
Eaglesville has some perspective. Not overstating things in the least. Nope. "LET'S STAY CALM PEOPLE! DON'T PANIC."
Looking at the bigger picture, the Birds can't afford to have Westbrook out for any extended period of time. Realistically, if they lost the All-Pro running back their chances of a deep playoff run would be nil. That goes for just about any team in the NFL -- if you lose your best player, your season is essentially over.
FOOTBALL LINKS: • I love this story about Brian Dawkins just because the second line is, "All that was missing was the cape." Yet the headline writer gives us, "Brian Dawkins dons his cape." Hehe. Good story though.
• The League asks how much violence is the appeal to the NFL. David Aldridge gives his opinion on the matter. Gambling, violence and beer.
• Speaking of beer, Mike Golic's kid got arrested with a bunch of other Golden Domers. Golic mentioned it on his show, saying he's a good kid who made a mistake and "everything is going to be fine."
• Oh, and Lane Kiffin is going to get fired. Or he won't. But he will. Today. Or maybe not. Yes he will.
BASEBALL LINKS: • David Murphy argues that Brad Lidge is the most valuable player on the Phillies this season. It's a good argument.
• Yankee Stadium is no more. Think about this what you want. I guess it's a big deal. And yes, I cried a little when the Vet got knocked down.
• METSBLOG UPDATE: Panic has come to Flushing. Says local boy Scot Schoeneweis:
“There’s no explanation anymore. I just don’t know what to say…I just don’t know what to say."
RANDOM LINKS: • USA! USA! USA! And when you have Boo Weekly, who needs Tiger Woods. Seriously, enough with the stares and the look-how-rich-I-am-and-how-hot-my-MILF-of-a-wife-is. We need more PONY RIDES DOWN THE FAIRWAY. (Yes, I'm a Phil guy, but today, I'm an America guy).
• I was rooting for Dexter, but Mad Men was a nice consolation as Best Drama. Tom Shales is one of the best TV critic in the country, and he has a rundown of the Emmys.
• Last, my Wegmans has a liquor license. And they aren't using it. Sonsabitches.