Photo credit: your pal Matt
Tonight marks the start of the Sixers season. For all intents and purposes this year will be a mediocre campaign at best. The Sixers haven't changed a whole lot from the team they put out on the floor last year and with A.I. and CWebb inching closer to the twilight of their careers, things look bleak for the hoops team in South Philly.
The fact that the next few months could be the final games in which Allen Iverson puts on a Philadelphia uniform should give you reason enough to care a little bit. We could argue A.I. for days, but the fact of the matter is that Iverson is one of the most fun athletes to watch in all of sports. The Sixers likely won't win squat this year, but enjoy Bubba Chuck while you can because he may be gone in a flash.
Season opener tonight, 7 PM, Wachovia Center vs. Atlanta Hawks - tickets still available.
Now for a look around the web on what people have to say about the Sixers:
- Phil Jasner has a preview and informs us that Billy King thinks this years group is close. Close to what? [Daily News]
- Billy King sees a playoff contender. I see dead people. [Inquirer]
- ESPN's power rankings have the Sixers at 26. Ouch. [ESPN]
- ESPN's Sixers preview; Tim Legler says, "Take a sub-.500 team that doesn't play defense. Age by one year. Add
absolutely nothing of note in the offseason. What do you get? Another
year out of the playoffs for Allen Iverson and Chris Webber." [ESPN]
- This Sixers blogger picks the Sixers to go 47-35 and win the East! The commenter who said, "papers or pipe?" nailed my thoughts exactly. [NBA Previews]
- More on the new NBA ball from True Hoop. [ESPN]