If I hadn't read all of the hype about Kevin Durant prior to watching Villanova beat Texas on Saturday, I would have put him as the second or third best player on the Longhorns -- not anything remotely resembling a lottery pick. All the credit has to go to the 'Nova big men for holding Durant in check. They held him to 4-15 shooting and 12 points, only 1 of which was scored in the second half. Two Longhorns who did impress were Augustin and Abrams who were lighting it up from outside. Villanova's Scottie Reynolds also stood out as quite the playmaker. Nova fans have to be excited about his talent.
It was tough keeping an eye on Durant from the last row of the Wachovia center. Did anyone watch the game on CBS that saw something that impressed them about Durant that we missed?
- The Sixers actually beat the Miami Heat on Friday night. The 17,000+ at the Wachovia Center got their money's worth with this game. With the Sixers up 2 and time running out, Wade launched up a three and missed BUT got fouled. He had the chance to win it by making all three foul shots. He made two and sent the game into OT. NBA.com video highlights. [NBA]
- Recapping our weekend posts: Utley signs 7 year, $85 million extension, a sobering look at the Eagles off-season, Eagles to sign Aussie punter. [The 700 Level]
- Is this really the end of Koy Detmer? [Fanhouse]
- With too many sports stories today focusing on spoiled athletes and the reality that sports are now a business, a ragtag team of refugees reminds us that sports can transcend. [NYTimes]
- You can own Adrian's pet shop! [Inquirer]
- Not only did Chase Utley get rich this weekend, he also got married in California. Curious who the lucky lady is? According the Inquirer, he's honey mooning in Mexico. [The 700 Level]
- I think Mark Cuban is on to something here. [Blog Maverick]
- Bill Conlin might make your brain hurt this morning. [Daily News]